Building and construction

Own Plant:

Provides cover for accidental loss of, or damage to, an item of your plant.

Commercial Vehicles: As a builder, you may have one or more vans or trucks that are used to carry equipment and materials. These vehicles will obviously need their own commercial vehicles insurance cover. If you have three or more vehicles you might be better off with a fleet policy.

Contract works:
As a contractor working on site, contract condi- tions may make you responsible for the works and materials whilst on site. Cover can be provided up to around £500,000 depending on the nature of your contracts.

Covers hand and power tools in the event of loss, theft or accidental damage. You can also choose to include tools left in your vehicle overnight.
Builders’ Public Liability: As an employer, you are responsible for the health and safety of your employees while they are at work. Staff may be injured at work or they may become ill as a result of their work while in your employment. They might try to claim compensation from you if they believe you are responsible. You must display a copy of your certificate of insurance where your employees can easily read it. You can be fined up to £2500 for any day which you are without suitable insurance. If you do not display the certificate of insurance or refuse to make it available to HSE inspectors when they ask, you can be fined up to £1000.
Stock: Provides cover for stock, materials in trade and customers goods for which you are responsible.

Buildings Cover:
Protects your business premises against perils such as weather damage and flooding. This cover can also sometimes include business interruption insurance.

Business / Office Equipment:
Covers business equipment whether it is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged. You may need additional cover if you take equipment overseas. You should also check whether mobile equipment, such as laptops and phones, are covered outside the premises.
Employers Liability: For builders, this protects against injury or death of third party persons, or damage to third party property, from incidents arising as a result of your business activities. For example, if a pedestrian was to be hit by a dropped tool when passing on site, you might be held liable for damages, compensation and legal fees. The same would apply if the items hit a car or damaged property.

Hired – In Plant
Provides cover for your legal liability under the terms of your hiring agreement to pay compensation for damage to hired-in plant.

Phone: 0191 510 3354


Address: Unit 1 Lambton House, Newbottle Street, Houghton-le-Spring, DH4 4AR